Sunday, September 29, 2013

Football and the Dangers

The game of football is a strategic game but it comes with my consequences. This game gets the description of a battle. Because this game is a battle of war, there are casualties. First to talk about the injuries. The most frequent injury that occurs is concussions. A concussion is a blow to the head. You can lose consciousness and also lose some of your memory. In the game of football, this is from blocking with your head or trying to tackle with your head. This causes brain damage. With more brain damage, it can cause dementia and other long term damage, like CTE. CTE is chronic traumatic encephalopathy. CTE is caused from head trauma and the effects can cause suicide. 

To this, I think it's nuts! Is there any other way to play this sport to make it safer to the players? Can there be better rules and regulations to protects the players? I would think there is a better way to play this sport so you don't have to use your head. Helmets are only meant to keep the head from getting a skull fracture, helmets should help from causing a concussion too. 

From watching "Football High", we were informed about two high school football players, named Will James and Tyler Davenport. Both football players had heat stroke from practicing in the heat. Both were rushed to the hospital. Both boys were put into comas. Because of the damage, Will James had kidney failure. With recovering, he had to go through kidney dialysis. Tyler did not recover and passed away.Because both boys were in Arkansas, the state is not required to have a personal trainer on the field for football. That is one reason Will James had a better chance of survival. Also because, they took him inside to the locker rooms. With Tyler Davenport

I wish these stories were false. It's always hard to hear about this. I can't believe how safety is not taken seriously enough to keep these players safe and healthy. I know when I was in marching band, we had a good handful of adults there and also the section leaders, me being one too, we had a card with all the signs of a heat stroke and more. We also knew what to do in those situations too. In the video, the players didn't really knew what was gong on with those players.

1 comment:

  1. I also feel that the safety of the players needs to be regulated a little better in high school. I realize it's expensive to staff professional trainers and they can really only get the funds if they are a winning team and it's competitive, but at what cost? These players are being trained as though they are profssional and ending up with debilitating injuries.

    ReplyDelete