Sunday, October 20, 2013

Looking Back on the Semester

The one part of the semester that I still think about is how we center ourselves around the thought of love. We always want this fake love. I always see that and that unit stays in my head, also with the ads. There are so many ads that are sexualizing women and making them look like objects and nothing more. I look at ads more now to see how bad they are. I also look back at my favorite movies to see how they have influenced me in how I think about love. With that unit, I have seen where Hollywood has influenced me and where ads have made me have a low self-esteem.

2 comments:

  1. I also have kind of re-evaluated myself after learning about the section dealing with love this semester, and have noticed that the media may have influenced my expectations as well. You also say that you pay more attention to ads now and I find it kind of fun to do too and compare the ones I see with some of the stereotypes we learned, especially when it comes to making woman look sexual, like children, or submissive. It's interesting for me to see how much popular culture effects us daily now that I've been actually paying attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look back on the Ads too, I can't believe our world has come too skinny girls that look like they are about to pass out as "sexy." It's absolutely crazy because no one in the world looks like that but the models, and most of the time they are edited so much they don't even really look like that. So we are all having our self-esteem lowered to fake girls? Ridiculous. I totally didn't think about the fake love part of the unit, but I totally agree. We all want this "fake love" whether it is real or not, we all crave it.

    ReplyDelete